Foul play suspected in Vt. teacher's disappearance
ST. JOHNSBURY, Vt. - March 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- A missing high school teacher whose 2-year-old son was found alone in her SUV with the engine running was probably a victim of foul play, Vermont State Police said Monday.
Melissa Jenkins, 33, of St. Johnsbury, has been missing since Sunday night. A friend who was looking for her called police.
The friend found the SUV, which was running with Jenkins' son inside, not far from her home. Evidence from the scene indicates there was a struggle, police said.
The Vermont National Guard is searching for Jenkins by helicopter, and police are using search dogs. Police have blocked off the home. A friend is caring for the boy.
Jenkins is a single parent who teaches science and used to coach girls basketball at St. Johnsbury Academy. She is also a part-time waitress at The Creamery Restaurant in Danville.
She graduated from Lyndon State College with a degree in natural science and geology.
Eric Berry, 44, of Lyndonville, said Jenkins is a cousin by marriage and godmother to his daughter. He described her as a kind person who loves her son and said he believes she was coming to someone's aid when she disappeared.
"She left her house with the idea of trying to help someone," he said. He would not elaborate.
vermont, missing person, national/world
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated 31 min ago
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
20 min ago
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
44 min ago