Texas mother charged in death of body-in-box son
TEXAS CITY, Texas - April 05, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Houston-area woman has been charged in the death of her 10-year-old son whose body was found in a cardboard box a year ago.
Tina Louise Madrid, 42, was arrested at her Texas City home Wednesday on a murder charge, The Galveston County Daily News (http://bit.ly/HRcZMV ) reported. A coroner last week ruled the drowning of her son, Jonathan Singer, a homicide.
Jonathan had cerebral palsy and could not care for himself. Authorities said he was neglected and weighed only about 35 to 40 pounds.
Prosecutors said Jonathan's father, Jeffrey Singer, 46, left the boy alone in a bathtub while he went shopping. The boy drowned. His body was discovered last April in a box in the back of Singer's truck in Spring Branch, an area of west Houston.
Singer was charged with serious bodily injury to a child and is free on $50,000 bond, according to Harris County court records.
It wasn't immediately clear what part prosecutors believe Madrid played in the death. Online jail records do not list an attorney for Madrid, who was jailed and held under bond set at $50,000.
Police in Pasadena, another Houston suburb, visited Madrid's apartment in April 2011 after a call from a relative concerned for Jonathan's welfare. Officers were told the boy was fine and with his father, although they were not able to find either of them, police spokesman Vance Mitchell said
The next day officers were summoned to the west Houston home of Jeffrey Singer's father where Singer had parked his truck, where they found the child's body in the truck.
Police said Singer made statements about being responsible for the boy's death, and they arrested him. The child had been dead about five days when his body was found.
Child Protective Services had investigated the boy's welfare in 2010 and found no evidence of abuse or neglect. Child welfare officials doing a second check later were unable to find the family.Copyright 2011 The Galveston County Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
texas, child death, trial, national/world
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 8 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp today 43 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident 25 min ago
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 15 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery 23 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Chase Utley out 2-4 weeks with oblique strain
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
8 min ago
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
25 min ago
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in...
23 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
15 min ago