Boat overturns near Statue of Liberty
NEW YORK - April 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A tugboat overturned Friday morning near New York's Liberty Island and three crew members were rescued by a ferry captain who also helped in the 2009 "Miracle on the Hudson" rescue.
The three workers on the tugboat Katherine G. were taken for medical treatment after the accident, which occurred around 9:45 a.m., Coast Guard spokesman Charles Rowe said. They were not seriously injured and were expected to recover.
The workers were trying to lift something with a crane when the vessel tipped over into the Hudson River. The boat was seen on its side, on the northeast side of Liberty Island. It also was visible from the Battery Park area in Lower Manhattan.
Capt. Mohamed Gouda was returning from a NY Waterway ferry trip from Wall Street to New Jersey when he saw the boat and the three workers in the water. The crew pulled the men out using cradles dipped into the Hudson River.
"I lowered the cradles, as the passengers climbed up. The same procedure we used during Flight 1549," Gouda said.
US Airways Flight 1549 had just taken off from LaGuardia Airport when a flock of geese disabled the engines on Jan. 15, 2009. Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III safely glided into a water landing. All 155 passengers and crew members were rescued.
Gouda helped rescue 143 people from the plane.
NY Waterway ferry crews have rescued more than 250 people from the water in its 25 years in service, the company said in a statement.
new york city, water rescue, national/world
- Search for Okla. tornado survivors nearly complete
- Steamy Situation 46 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Hats get women ejected from King of Prussia Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep 49 min ago
- Young and Howard lift Phillies over Marlins
- Video: Philly's new skateboard park opens 53 min ago
- Kellie Pickler named new DWTS champ 34 min ago