South Korea says North preparing for nuclear test
SEOUL, South Korea - April 09, 2012 (WPVI) -- South Korean intelligence officials say North Korea is digging a new underground tunnel in what appears to be preparation for a third nuclear test.
A report written by intelligence officials and shared Monday with The Associated Press says recent satellite photos show piles of dirt near the newly excavated tunnel's entrance.
The report says the excavation at the North's northeast Punggye-ri site is in its final stages. Experts say dirt is needed to fill up underground tunnels before a nuclear test.
The report's release comes as North Korea prepares to fire a long-range rocket April 12-16 that Washington and others say is a cover for testing missile technology that could be used to fire on the United States.
south korea, north korea, nuclear weapon, national/world
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 53 min ago
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 28 min ago
- Jordan Brown murder case goes to Pa. high court 45 min ago
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 38 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm