South Korea says North preparing for nuclear test
SEOUL, South Korea - April 09, 2012 (WPVI) -- South Korean intelligence officials say North Korea is digging a new underground tunnel in what appears to be preparation for a third nuclear test.
A report written by intelligence officials and shared Monday with The Associated Press says recent satellite photos show piles of dirt near the newly excavated tunnel's entrance.
The report says the excavation at the North's northeast Punggye-ri site is in its final stages. Experts say dirt is needed to fill up underground tunnels before a nuclear test.
The report's release comes as North Korea prepares to fire a long-range rocket April 12-16 that Washington and others say is a cover for testing missile technology that could be used to fire on the United States.
south korea, north korea, nuclear weapon, national/world
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J. 10 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church 58 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- NASA: Space station may have bad valve 41 min ago
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: Top Holiday Tech Gifts 2013!
- Photos: The Headhouse District's Winter Wonderland 11 min ago
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in...
10 min ago