South Korea says North preparing for nuclear test
SEOUL, South Korea - April 09, 2012 (WPVI) -- South Korean intelligence officials say North Korea is digging a new underground tunnel in what appears to be preparation for a third nuclear test.
A report written by intelligence officials and shared Monday with The Associated Press says recent satellite photos show piles of dirt near the newly excavated tunnel's entrance.
The report says the excavation at the North's northeast Punggye-ri site is in its final stages. Experts say dirt is needed to fill up underground tunnels before a nuclear test.
The report's release comes as North Korea prepares to fire a long-range rocket April 12-16 that Washington and others say is a cover for testing missile technology that could be used to fire on the United States.
south korea, north korea, nuclear weapon, national/world
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 38 min ago
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 14 min ago
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries 20 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ