South Korea says North preparing for nuclear test
SEOUL, South Korea - April 09, 2012 (WPVI) -- South Korean intelligence officials say North Korea is digging a new underground tunnel in what appears to be preparation for a third nuclear test.
A report written by intelligence officials and shared Monday with The Associated Press says recent satellite photos show piles of dirt near the newly excavated tunnel's entrance.
The report says the excavation at the North's northeast Punggye-ri site is in its final stages. Experts say dirt is needed to fill up underground tunnels before a nuclear test.
The report's release comes as North Korea prepares to fire a long-range rocket April 12-16 that Washington and others say is a cover for testing missile technology that could be used to fire on the United States.
south korea, north korea, nuclear weapon, national/world
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Gloucester Twp. school put on precautionary lockout 31 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Police: Job applicant stole from tip jar 44 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
- Man shot several times in stomach in Chester
- Sunoco moving to Delco, Citibank leaving Philly
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor