Toy grenade prompts NYC building evacuation
NEW YORK - April 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- A toy grenade was to blame for an evacuation Thursday at a building near ground zero, authorities said.
The police bomb squad was called to 2 World Financial Center in lower Manhattan at midday when a security guard reported a package that seemed suspicious. Brookfield Properties, which runs the property, ordered an evacuation as a precaution.
Employees in business suits filed calmly back into the building after the New York Police Department declared the situation all clear about 90 minutes later.
Police said there was no threat, and no criminal investigation is taking place.
The bomb squad determined the package was a fake explosive that looked like a 1940s-style pineapple grenade. It was mounted on a plaque that said "Complaint department: Take a number," with a number attached to the pin.
It was addressed to someone at one of the financial institutions housed there and discovered by someone in the mail room.
Several employees said an announcement came over the building loudspeakers telling them to evacuate as quickly as possible. Octavio Diaz was wearing a neon yellow backpack as he helped lead his co-workers out of the building to a nearby volleyball court, where they waited until the all-clear.
"Stuff like this happens, so you've got to take it seriously," he said. "We're ready to go."
The building is near the World Trade Center site, where the Sept. 11 attacks killed nearly 3,000 people. A 1993 bombing there killed six people and injured more than 1,000.
The building evacuated Thursday houses major financial institutions, including Merrill Lynch, Nomura Securities, Deloitte, Commerzbank and OppenheimerFunds Inc.
new york city, bomb scare, national/world
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 15 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 8 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack 56 min ago
- SEPTA police chief using Twitter to fight crime 4 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
15 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off...
8 min ago