Driver who collapsed during school commute dies
MILTON, Wash. - April 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Washington school bus driver has died two days after he suffered a heart attack at the wheel, prompting students to take over.
Fife School District Deputy Superintendent Jeff Short says 43-year-old Ryan Callis died Wednesday evening.
Bus footage shows 13-year-old Jeremy Wuitschick rushing down the aisle to the unconscious driver and grabbing the wheel Monday morning as other students yell: "Call 911!"
Wuitschick turned off the ignition and guided the bus safely onto the curb. Students started CPR on Callis until help arrived.
Paramedics who rushed to Surprise Lake Middle School in Milton, Wash., said the Tacoma man suffered a heart attack.
Short says the 12 students on the bus and other drivers were offered counseling Thursday in light of the death.
washington, school bus, national/world
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 1 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more