Driver who collapsed during school commute dies
MILTON, Wash. - April 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Washington school bus driver has died two days after he suffered a heart attack at the wheel, prompting students to take over.
Fife School District Deputy Superintendent Jeff Short says 43-year-old Ryan Callis died Wednesday evening.
Bus footage shows 13-year-old Jeremy Wuitschick rushing down the aisle to the unconscious driver and grabbing the wheel Monday morning as other students yell: "Call 911!"
Wuitschick turned off the ignition and guided the bus safely onto the curb. Students started CPR on Callis until help arrived.
Paramedics who rushed to Surprise Lake Middle School in Milton, Wash., said the Tacoma man suffered a heart attack.
Short says the 12 students on the bus and other drivers were offered counseling Thursday in light of the death.
washington, school bus, national/world
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 7 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 51 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport