Police handcuff Ga. kindergartner for tantrum
MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. (AP) - April 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Georgia handcuffed a kindergartner after the girl threw a tantrum and the police chief defended the action.
The girl's family demanded Tuesday that this central Georgia city change policy so that other children aren't treated the same way. They say the child was shaken up by being put in a cell at the police station.
Salecia Johnson, 6, was accused of tearing items off the walls and throwing furniture in an outburst Friday at Creekside Elementary School, Macon television station WMAZ-TV reported. Police said the girl knocked over a shelf that injured the principal.
The school called police. The police report says when an officer tried to calm the child in the principal's office, she resisted and was handcuffed. The girl was charged with simple assault and damage to property.
Police Chief Dray Swicord says the department's policy is to handcuff people in certain situations.
"Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back and there is no age discrimination on that rule," Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord told WMAZ.
The girl's aunt, Candace Ruff, went with the child's mother to pick her up from the police station. She Salecia was by herself in a holding cell and complained about the handcuffs.
"She said they were really tight. She said they really hurt her wrists," Ruff told the Associated Press. "She was so shaken up when we went there to pick her up."
Officials at Creekside Elementary did not immediately return calls Tuesday.
"We would not like to see this happen to another child, because it's horrifying. It's devastating," Ruff said.
georgia, children, school, national/world
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday 32 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School 43 min ago
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall 56 min ago
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Bitter Blast Thursday
32 min ago