Clemens trial resumes Monday with seating of jury
WASHINGTON (AP) - April 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Roger Clemens perjury retrial resumed Monday with a debate over evidence before moving to the final phase of seating a jury.
Last week, the jury pool was narrowed to 36, from which the 12 jurors and four alternates are to be picked Monday, followed by opening statements.
Clemens arrived in court with his wife, Debbie, who had not been allowed to attend his first trial during jury selection because she was to be a witness in her husband's defense.
Wearing a pinstriped suit, white shirt and silver-striped tie, the seven-time Cy Young Award winner took notes as his lawyers, the prosecutors and judge debated what evidence could be introduced.
The legendary pitcher is accused of lying to Congress in 2008, when the baseball star testified that he never took steroids or human growth hormone.
On Monday, U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton considered whether the defense can challenge the legitimacy of the congressional hearings. He said that if that happened, "it opens up the door to a lot of information that would not otherwise come into evidence" from the government, including other players who admitted using performance-enhancing drugs. He said he didn't want to force the government to fight with "one hand behind their back."
Hardin said it was premature for Walton to rule until Hardin raised questions about the hearings. Hardin also said he wasn't challenging the legitimacy of the hearings, only their focus on Clemens' drug use, which he called a "show trial." Walton deferred a ruling on the matter.
Walton hopes to get to the first witness in the case Tuesday.
trial, washington, d.c., roger clemens, national/world
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street 7 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)