Funeral planned for Texas mom slain in abduction
WILLIS, Texas (AP) - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Friends and family are preparing to say goodbye to a Houston-area woman a week after she was fatally shot trying to save her newborn son from being abducted.
The funeral for 28-year-old Kala Golden of Spring, Texas, is Tuesday afternoon at First Baptist Church in Willis, about 40 miles north of Houston.
A judge on Monday ordered a 30-year-old nurse held without bond on a capital murder charge. The woman has been accused of fatally shooting Golden on April 17 outside a suburban Houston pediatric center and abducting the baby.
The baby was found unharmed hours later with the suspect's sister.
Investigators believe Verna McClain was desperate for a baby after suffering a miscarriage. Her lawyers have said they plan to review her mental state.
texas, abduction, houston, national/world
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 55 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 50 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 43 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 59 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
17 min ago