Va. couple accidentally shot at gun safety class
ROANOKE, Va. (AP) - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Roanoke, Va., man and his wife were recovering after he accidentally shot himself and her during a firearms safety class.
The Bedford County Sheriff's Office tells media outlets that Michael L. Deel shot himself in the hand with a .45-caliber handgun. The bullet also struck his wife, Michelle, in the leg as she was sitting beside him.
The incident occurred Saturday during a firearms safety class at a residence. The instructor, Thomas Starke, told police he'd left the room and then heard a shot.
The Deels were taken to a local hospital where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Michael Deel says the shooting was a "stupid accident."
virginia, guns, national/world
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act