Va. couple accidentally shot at gun safety class
ROANOKE, Va. (AP) - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Roanoke, Va., man and his wife were recovering after he accidentally shot himself and her during a firearms safety class.
The Bedford County Sheriff's Office tells media outlets that Michael L. Deel shot himself in the hand with a .45-caliber handgun. The bullet also struck his wife, Michelle, in the leg as she was sitting beside him.
The incident occurred Saturday during a firearms safety class at a residence. The instructor, Thomas Starke, told police he'd left the room and then heard a shot.
The Deels were taken to a local hospital where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Michael Deel says the shooting was a "stupid accident."
virginia, guns, national/world
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 42 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ