Infant stabbed in Baltimore; mother in custody
BALTIMORE (AP) - April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- A mother managed to slip a long kitchen knife past security at a Baltimore social services building and used it to stab her infant daughter in the face and neck Tuesday, police said.
The 8-month-old baby was stabbed several times, but was listed in good condition at Johns Hopkins Children's Center and was expected to survive, Police Det. Donny Moses said.
"The baby should be OK," Moses said.
The mother was admitted to an area hospital for a mental health evaluation, police said.
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the stabbing occurred shortly before 10 a.m. at a Department of Social Services building where entering visitors must pass through metal detectors and have their bags screened.
The woman, the baby and a social worker were in a room together when the stabbing occurred, Moses said. He added that the woman became irate before the stabbing, but he didn't know why. The police spokesman did not provide other details.
Authorities did not immediately identify the woman. Moses said a decision on charges would be made after she is released from the hospital, but he did not know how long the evaluation would take.
Pat Hines, a spokesman for the state Department of Human Resources, said the office where the stabbing occurred is mainly focused on foster care services. Hines said the woman entered the building through normal procedures and the department has begun a review of security procedures at all of its buildings statewide.
baltimore, maryland, national/world
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 32 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 28 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 28 min ago
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
32 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos