Suspect makes escape attempt at Phoenix airport
PHOENIX - April 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a prisoner is back in custody after he was caught by airline workers while trying to escape at Phoenix's airport.
Police say 22-year-old John Riebesel was being extradited from Detroit when he managed to get away from two Yavapai County sheriff's deputies at Sky Harbor International Airport Thursday evening.
KSAZ-TV reports (http://bit.ly/IlZQxt ) Riebesel found his way onto the tarmac, but was spotted by a US Airways employee.
Other US Airways employees came to the aid of the first and detained him until police arrived.
The station says that he somehow removed an ankle bracelet that officers could have used to give him an electrical shock.
Authorities say Riebesel is accused of drug violations Yavapai County, and is now facing escape and other charges in Maricopa County.
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm causes multiple accidents, delays at airport 4 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 7 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 8 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com! 4 min ago
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
55 min ago