4 missing children found suffocated in Mexico
MEXICO CITY - April 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Four children who vanished on their way to primary school have been discovered suffocated and buried on a ranch not far from their homes in southern Mexico, according to Tabasco state authorities.
Three of the children who were formally interred by their families at dawn Saturday were siblings and another was their neighbor on a hillside in the colonial town of Tapijulapa. Their ages ranged from 7 to 10.
The state Attorney General's Office said that the mothers became alarmed when their children did not return from school Tuesday afternoon, and when they went to question school officials, found that the students had never arrived.
The bodies were discovered on Friday in shallow graves at a ranch named "Honey and Milk" about two miles (three kilometers) outside the town, which is in the municipality of Tacotalpa. Their faces had been covered with brown packing tape, which caused them to suffocate, the agency said in its statement issued Friday.
The motive for the killings remained unclear, but state Attorney General Gregorio Romero said investigators had found no sign of sexual abuse or organ trafficking.
The parents of the children are hardscrabble corn farmers living in wood houses on the edge of the picturesque town, and the children walked about a mile (two kilometers) to school each day, crossing the Oxolotan River. Another child reported seeing them that morning near a soccer field on their way to school.
Anita Gomez Perez, whose 7-year-old son Samuel was one of the victims, wept as she told reporters that she usually accompanied her child to school, "but that day, I don't know what happened to me. He didn't want to go to school, he didn't want to get up, and I told him to get dressed so they would not mark him down."
mexico, children, child death, missing children, national/world
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 9 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 4 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
4 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos