Report: 20 killed as 2 buses collide in India
NEW DELHI (AP) - April 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A news report says two buses have collided head-on and fallen into a ditch in northern India, killing 20 people and injuring 25 others.
The Press Trust of India news agency says 15 passengers died at the scene on the outskirts of Gorakhpur, a town 270 kilometers (170 miles) east of Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh state. It says another five died in hospital.
It quoted district administrator Ravindra Naik as saying that at least half a dozen people injured in Sunday's accident were in critical condition.
Officials could not be immediately reached.
Road accidents are common in India - many due to negligence, bad roads and aging vehicles.
india, accident, national/world
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 34 min ago
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos