Parents create bucket list for sick baby daughter
April 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A family in Houston, Texas is taking a unique way to deal with a devastating prognosis for their infant daughter.
At just a few months old, little Avery's legs went limp from spinal muscular atrophy - a rare genetic disorder.
Doctors told the child's family that she may only have 18 month to live.
With the news, her parents decided to take her story online - giving Avery her own blog and a bucket list which will include memories they want her to have before she's gone.
"Mike always told me we've got all the time in the world to cry. We can cry when she's no longer here but for now we want to try to enjoy the time we do have with her and make memories," said Laura Canahuati, the child's mother.
They want memories like her first Easter, her first trip to college, her first innocent kiss, and her first little girl tea party with her mom.
All those moments and memories will go online for a reason.
"We can watch her die or let her live. Through letting her live we're going to try to educate other people about this so that they don't have to go through it too," said Mike Canahuati, the child's father.
There is very little research and no cure for spinal muscular atrophy.
Parents can undergo genetic testing to find out if they carry the gene which could potentially be passed on to their child.
Meanwhile Avery's family is committed to continue blogging her memories and hold hope that someday science will find a cure for the disorder.
texas, children, national/world
- Fmr. Chester Co. teacher faces child porn charges 4 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 4 min ago
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 20 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect 9 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
20 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos