Dead Mexican teen's family to pursue suit v. agent
EL PASO, Texas - April 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A lawyer for the family of a 15-year-old Mexican boy killed by a U.S. Border Patrol agent in 2010 says they will press on with their lawsuit against the agent despite U.S. prosecutors' decision not to charge him.
Attorney Robert Hilliard said Sunday that there is no evidence that Sergio Hernandez-Guereca threw rocks at agent Jesus Mesa Jr. from Mexico before Mesa fatally shot him.
The U.S. Department of Justice said Friday there was insufficient evidence to pursue charges.
U.S. authorities say Mesa shot the boy while trying to arrest illegal immigrants crossing the Rio Grande near El Paso. The shooting was captured on cellphone video.
A Texas judge last year dismissed a wrongful death lawsuit against the U.S. government but allowed the lawsuit against Mesa to proceed.
mexico, texas, national/world
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 12 min ago
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike 45 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber