Bin Laden said to have wanted Obama assassinated
WASHINGTON - May 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former Obama administration official says al Qaida leader Osama bin Laden wanted to see President Barack Obama and Gen. David Petraeus assassinated.
But Michael Leiter tells NBC's "Today" show he didn't think that necessarily was bin Laden's highest priority, suggesting the terrorist leader dreamed of another large-scale, 9/11-type attack on the United States.
Asked by "Today" host Matt Lauer Tuesday whether bin Laden's aim of seeing Obama assassinated was more of a "wish-list" than a plot, Leiter agreed.
Leiter served as head of the National Counterterrorism Center during the Obama administration. He was present with Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton at the White House a year ago as they monitored the U.S. operation that killed bin Laden at a Pakistan compound.
osama bin laden, president barack obama, national/world
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware 10 min ago
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire 36 min ago
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled 38 min ago
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Dozens rescued from flooded San Antonio area
- NJ man claims share of $198M Mega Millions jackpot
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila....
36 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos