Controversial debate over same-sex marriage heats up
WASHINGTON, D.C. - May 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- President Barack Obama's decision to back same-sex marriage has ignited public furor that spilled into Mother's Day.
The debate is turning into a major election year issue.
The battle over same-sex marriage moved into churches on Sunday.
"For right now, it's going to make a difference. I don't think he is following God's words," said a parishioner from the Rising Sun Baptist Church in Baltimore, Maryland.
Her pastor thinks politics trumped religious beliefs that define marriage as one man, one woman.
"He's pretty much said what you believe and know is not that important," said Pastor Emmett Burns. "Political expediency is more important."
The public debate over gay marriage also made its way into commencement addresses.
"I have no doubt that in your lifetime Liberty's light will allow us to see more clearly the truth of our nation's founding principle and allow us to see all people and all couples as full and equal members of the American family," said New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
And the politicians weighed in on both sides.
"I expected the President to be supporting same-sex marriage, because, frankly, of the absence of any good reason against it, once you believe that people ought to be treated fairly," said Rep. Barney Frank, (D) Massachusetts.
"You know, he said his views were evolving on marriage. Call me cynical, but I wasn't sure that his views on marriage could get any gayer," said Senator Rand Paul, R-Kentucky.
"Gayer" than the Newsweek cover which sparked more public discussion?
And the debate may get another jolt on Tuesday. That's when the President gets to explain his evolved views on ABC's "The View."
gay marriage, president barack obama, washington, d.c., national/world
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Baby, man injured in SEPTA bus accident
- Bus co. mistake disrupts kids' DC field trip 15 min ago
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Student and teacher shocked at Voorhees school
- 2 arrested for stealing tractor in Franklin Township
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
- SEPTA announces fare hikes 11 min ago
- Man gets life in prison for murder of Pa. musician
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment
- Bus co. mistake disrupts kids' DC field trip
15 min ago