Dog custody battle costs NYC man more than $60,000
NEW YORK (AP) - May 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A New York City man has spent more than $60,000 in lawyers' fees trying to win custody of his dog after his ex-girlfriend took the pooch to California.
Thirty-four-year-old Craig Dershowitz told the New York Post that he's gone through his life savings but it's worth it.
Dershowitz considers his dog, Knuckles, his "son."
In papers filed earlier this year in Manhattan state Supreme Court, Dershowitz said ex-girlfriend Sarah Brega "kidnapped" Knuckles after they broke up.
Brega says Dershowitz gave her the puggle pup - half pug, half beagle.
The Post says Dershowitz has started a website to raise money for the custody fight. For $250, contributors can "play fetch with Knuckles."
The drive is off to a slow start. Dershowitz raised $85 in the first week.
new york, dogs, national/world
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 53 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish