NY man caught via Facebook gets 20 years in attack
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - May 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A registered sex offender has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for beating a 12-year-old New York boy with a pool cue - a crime that was solved when the boy identified the man via Facebook photos.
The Onondaga County Court judge who sentenced 35-year-old Scott Miles on Monday says he turned the boy's suburban Syracuse home into a "house of terror."
The attack happened in Mattydale early on the morning of Sept. 22. Miles had pleaded guilty to felony burglary.
Authorities don't know why Miles broke into the home. They say he didn't know the boy or his mother, who wasn't home.
Miles was arrested after the boy recognized him from a picture on Miles' Facebook page. Miles had connected with the boy's mother after the attack, but police don't know why.
new york, child death, facebook, national/world
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 57 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 44 min ago