Obama takes pop culture quiz on 'The View'
WASHINGTON - May 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- President Barack Obama can hold his own when it comes to pop culture.
He's up on "The Avengers" superheroes, has a handle on the Kardashians and says he catches up with TV hits during long flights on Air Force One.
But the president punted to wife Michelle when he was asked about the erotic fiction book "Fifty Shades of Grey."
Obama, who took a quick pop culture quiz during an appearance Tuesday on ABC's "The View," drew a blank when asked to name "the controversial sex book that's on millions of women's bedside tables."
"I'll ask Michelle when I get home," he promised, to hoots of laughter from the audience.
Obama did better with TV and celebrity trivia.
He knew which Kardashian was married for just 72 days.
"That would be Kim," he answered, saying he only knew because she was married to pro basketball player Kris Humphries.
He's seen "The Avengers," and was able to name three superheroes: Hulk, Captain America and Ironman.
And he knew that View participant Sherri Shepard had been on "Dancing with the Stars."
He didn't know whether Jessica Simpson had had her baby. (She had a girl earlier this month.)
Obama said he catches up with TV shows like "Mad Men" and "Homeland" on long flights such as trips to Afghanistan, when there's time to study his briefing books and still have hours left over.
And he said his daughters, at a private 50th anniversary roast for their dad, gave him credit for being embarrassing, but "not too embarrassing."
election, president barack obama, the view, national/world
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 42 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 23 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
23 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
42 min ago