6 shot, 3 dead, in west Louisville neighborhood
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - May 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Back-to-back shootings in a western Louisville neighborhood left three people dead and three wounded Thursday.
Four people were hit in the initial gunfire, and police arrived to find two dead and two hurt, spokesman Dwight Mitchell said.
As police investigated with a crowd of people and reporters gathering at the scene, gunfire again rang out and onlookers dove for cover.
Two women were arguing and one fired at the other, killing her, police said. After the shots rang out, police ran down the street, and one officer took a shotgun from his car and ran behind a house where police had been investigating. Officers shot and wounded the shooter, police said.
Two people were placed in handcuffs.
The wounded woman was taken to University of Louisville Hospital where the two others injured were being treated, one in critical condition, police said.
Police had not released any names of the victims or a motive for the first shooting.
Hours later, the crowd had mostly dispersed. The bodies remained covered with sheets or blocked from view by protective barriers.
Police said the man who suffered the less serious injuries made his way about eight blocks from the scene and got to the hospital from there.
kentucky, shooting, national/world
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 12 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
12 min ago