Texas boy suspended over NBA shave scores tickets
SAN ANTONIO (AP) - May 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 12-year-old Texas boy who was suspended from school after shaving his head to resemble the face of Spurs forward Matt Bonner scored tickets to a playoff game and props from his favorite NBA player.
Patrick Gonzalez was suspended for a day from Woodlake Hills Middle School because the district deemed his $75 haircut a distraction. He returned to class Thursday after reluctantly shaving his head.
Gonzalez says Bonner is his favorite player, noting they're both redheads.
Bonner, whose mother is a teacher, says the school could have just moved Gonzalez to the back of the room. Bonner sent Gonzalez a message, saying: "Keep supporting us redheads in the NBA."
Gonzalez's story prompted the Spurs to give him and his family tickets to Thursday's playoff game - against the Clippers.
texas, nba, national/world
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids