Georgia woman learns toll of flesh-eating bacteria
ATLANTA (AP) - May 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- A young Georgia woman fighting a flesh-eating bacteria has said "Let's do this" after being told that she will lose her hands and remaining foot.
Her father posted the update on his Facebook page Friday. Andy Copeland wrote about the tough conversation he had a day earlier with his daughter Aimee. The 26-year-old woman contracted the bacteria after an accident.
Andy Copeland said his daughter "shed no tears, she never batted an eyelash. I was crying because I am a proud father of an incredibly courageous young lady."
It was not immediately clear whether the surgeries have already happened.
Copeland gashed her leg after falling May 1 from a homemade zip line over a Georgia river, and the bacteria took hold in the wound.
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 5 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
5 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos