Crash involving 6 buses in Georgia leaves injuries
COVINGTON, Ga. (AP) - May 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- A chain collision that damaged six school buses and a car on Saturday trapped one driver east of Atlanta and forced medical officials to examine more than 50 other people for injuries, authorities said.
The accident happened on Interstate 20 while the buses were taking students from Burke County near the South Carolina state line to a Six Flags amusement park outside of Atlanta, said Johnny Jenkins, chairman of the Burke County Board of Education.
Traffic on the highway had slowed approaching Covington because of a closed lane, said Gordy Wright, a spokesman for the Georgia State Patrol, which is investigating the accident. As the buses reduced speed, one bus was struck from behind by another school bus, setting off a chain collision that damaged six buses and a car. The accident temporarily shut down westbound traffic on the major highway.
Rescue crews had to cut a bus driver, Angela Benjamin Jones, 44, from the wreckage, said Amy Nunnally, a spokeswoman for the Burke County school system. The driver, who was conscious and able to communicate with emergency workers, was flown to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta and listed in stable condition.
Two other people suffered injuries, police said. About 50 others were examined at regional hospitals for possible injuries after the wreck. Aside from the bus driver, school officials said none of the injuries appeared serious.
school bus, accident, georgia, national/world
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
27 min ago
- Skydiver gets tangled with landing plane
14 min ago
- Student meets bone marrow recipient for...
11 min ago