3 charged in carjacking of Pastor Marvin Winans
DETROIT - May 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Michigan prosecutor has charged three young men in the assault and carjacking of popular Detroit pastor and gospel singing icon Marvin Winans.
The office of Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy says 20-year-old Detroit residents Montoya Givens and Christopher Moorehead and 18-year-old Brian K. Young of Macomb County's Clinton Township are charged with carjacking, unarmed robbery and conspiracy.
The charges carry up to life in prison.
The prosecutor's office says the three are expected to be arraigned Sunday.
Winans was attacked Wednesday afternoon while pumping gas at a Detroit gas station.
The 54-year-old sustained bruises and scrapes. His wallet, Rolex watch and 2012 Infiniti sport utility vehicle were taken. The SUV was recovered.
Winans is pastor of Perfecting Church. He delivered singer Whitney Houston's eulogy in February.
michigan, carjacking, national/world
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Jogger helps rescued man from Schuylkill River 2 min ago
- Boston Marathon to be under tight security 20 min ago
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 17 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 34 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!