6 missing after boat sinks in Gulf of Mexico
GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - May 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Six people are missing in the Gulf of Mexico after they abandoned their sinking fishing boat in the waters off Galveston, Texas, the Coast Guard said Monday.
The boat's captain sent a mayday call Sunday afternoon saying the vessel was sinking and that the six people onboard were planning to escape in an orange life raft, said Coast Guard command center controller Elvie Damaso.
"We have an onboard emergency. We are taking on water sir," the unidentified boat captain said in a distress call to the Coast Guard.
Damaso says authorities are not sure if the boat is called Scallywag or Skylark because the quality of the line was poor.
Coast Guard officials need the public's help in trying to work out who was on the boat and where it came from, Petty officer Richard Brahm said.
"We weren't able to get it from the captain before the boat went down," Brahm said.
Damaso said at least three boats, a helicopter, a plane and two cutters are involved in the search for the missing fishermen in a stretch of water roughly the size of Delaware. The boat went down somewhere off the coast of Galveston, about 50 miles southeast of Houston.
"All my electronics are down and I couldn't give you an exact location," the boat's captain said in the distress call. Brahm said authorities couldn't be more specific about where to search for the boat because the distress call was received by several communication towers.
gulf of mexico, texas, u.s. coast guard, national/world
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ 51 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes 51 min ago
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps 38 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
51 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa....
51 min ago
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
40 min ago