Obama honors veterans during Memorial Day weekend
WASHINGTON (AP) -May 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- President Barack Obama is paying tribute to veterans during Memorial Day weekend, honoring those willing to sacrifice their lives for their country.
Obama says in his weekly radio and Internet address he will mark Monday's holiday with veterans and their families at Arlington National Cemetery and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
The president says the nation needs to honor veterans, including those who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, by ensuring they have access to health care, higher education and jobs.
In the Republican address, congresswoman Lynn Jenkins of Kansas says higher prices from gasoline to groceries have placed a strain on families. She is calling for building the controversial Canada-to-Texas Keystone XL oil pipeline.
president barack obama, veterans, memorial day, national/world
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado 1 min ago
- Soupy Situation 19 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire 40 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying 38 min ago
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept. 23 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr 18 min ago
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
1 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
40 min ago
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's...
38 min ago
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for...
18 min ago