Police: 5-time champ Johnny Tapia found dead in NM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - May 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Johnny Tapia, the five-time boxing champion whose turbulent career was marked by cocaine addiction, alcohol, depression and run-ins with the law, was found dead Sunday at his Albuquerque home. He was 45.
Authorities were called to the house at about 7:45 p.m. on Sunday, spokesman Robert Gibbs said. The death didn't appear to be suspicious, he said.
Tapia won five championships in three weight classes, winning the WBA bantamweight title, the IBF and WBO junior bantamweight titles and the IBF featherweight belt.
He was regarded as the consummate underdog by his fans. The more trouble he found outside the ring - including several stints in jail - the more they rallied around him.
In a 1990s-era feud with fellow Albuquerque boxer and former world champion Danny Romero, Tapia's fans anointed him with the slang Spanish title of "Burque's Best."
But his life was also marked by tragedy. He was orphaned at 8, his mother stabbed 26 times with a screwdriver and left to die.
In 2007, he was hospitalized after an apparent cocaine overdose. Several days later, his brother-in-law and his nephew were killed in car accident on their way to Albuquerque to see the ailing boxer.
Tapia was banned from boxing for 3 1/2 years in the early '90s because of his cocaine addiction. But he knocked out Henry Martinez to win the WBO bantamweight title in 1994, and won four more championships over the next eight years.
He last fought in June, outpointing Mauricio Pastrana in an eight-round decision. He finished with a 59-5-2 record.
Gibbs said an autopsy will be performed in the next few days.
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- A Nice Stretch 14 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case 1 min ago
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport 5 min ago
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify 34 min ago
- Wilmington boy reported missing found safe
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect 8 min ago
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Public hearing underway on city demo procedures 12 min ago
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- FBI hunt for ex-Teamster boss Hoffa's remains ends
- Rollings Stones review: How old is too old? 44 min ago
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot...
8 min ago
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in...
9 min ago