Detroit woman gives birth, days after fire attack
DETROIT (AP) - May 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Detroit woman whose ex-boyfriend allegedly tried to have her killed to prevent her from having his child gave birth to a boy Tuesday, hours before the man and another suspect were due in court on attempted murder charges.
Latonya Bowman gave birth to the boy via an emergency cesarean section, said Louis Galasso, the deputy police commissioner in Warren, the suburb where the attack began early Saturday. He did not know if the C-section was needed because of the attack.
According to police, Bowman went to a drive-in movie with her ex-boyfriend Friday night and drove him home to Warren after midnight. In his garage, a man pointed a gun at Bowman, bound her with duct tape, forced her into her back seat and drove her to a vacant Detroit field, where he doused her in lighter fluid and set her on fire.
"She wiggles out of the back seat and attempts to put the flame out by rolling around on the ground," Galasso said. "She then hears two gunshots, one of which struck her in the back shoulder. She played dead. The suspect fled the scene."
Police believe Bowman's ex-boyfriend orchestrated the attack and followed in another vehicle. Galasso said the ex-boyfriend "made incriminating statements that he did not desire a third child."
Once her attacker had fled, Bowman got into her vehicle, drove to a phone and called her mother.
"The courage and survival instinct that she had was nothing sort of remarkable," Galasso said. The attack was "every adjective associated with heinous and horrific that one can use."
Bowman's ex-boyfriend and the other man were to be arraigned later Tuesday on attempted murder and other charges, Galasso said.
Bowman, 22, has burns to her forehead and torso but is expected to recover, he said.
detroit, childbirth, national/world
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 36 min ago
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- 1 person burned in fast-moving house fire 29 min ago
- Search for missing college student from Skippack 14 min ago
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
36 min ago
- 1 person burned in fast-moving house fire
29 min ago
- Tips for Pet Care Savings
47 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos