Simpson shoots 68 to grab US Open clubhouse lead
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - June 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- The top of the U.S. Open leaderboard is getting awfully crowded.
Webb Simpson shot a 2-under 68 in the third round to grab the clubhouse lead at 3 over Saturday, forced to sweat out the afternoon with a pack of notable names on the course just ahead of him.
Especially Tiger Woods.
Woods was 3 over on his first six holes to drop to 2 over for the tournament.
Jim Furyk, Nicolas Colsaerts and Graeme McDowell were all on the front nine at 1 over for the tournament. Fredrik Jacobson birdied the last three holes on the front nine to join the leaders. He was 2 under on his round through 11 holes.
Woods, Furyk and David Toms started the day two shots ahead of the field at 1 under until the tight, twisting fairways at The Olympic Club course wreaked havoc again.
golf, tiger woods, san francisco, california, national/world
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia 8 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 6 min ago
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila. 23 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier