Calif. woman trapped in car in pool is brain dead
ESCONDIDO, Calif. (AP) - June 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- A San Diego County woman has been declared brain dead after being trapped in a speeding car driven by her boyfriend that plunged into a swimming pool.
U-T San Diego reports 22-year-old Ashley Garcia never regained consciousness after the June 18 accident. A medical examiner's investigator says her organs will be donated.
Garcia was a passenger in the car when it went out of control near Escondido, crashed through a fence and landed upside down in the pool.
The driver freed himself, but Garcia was trapped in the submerged car for 10 minutes until a neighbor managed to cut her seat belt and free her.
The accident is under investigation and the driver hasn't been charged.
___Information from: U-T San Diego, http://www.utsandiego.com
california, accident, national/world
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 16 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case 38 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's