Suspect dead, 5 wounded in Ky. shootings
HAZARD, Ky. (AP) - June 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a rural Kentucky man opened fire from his house, shooting two people in a vehicle and wounding three law enforcement officers before being fatally shot.
Breathitt County Sheriff Ray Clemons says it "was like Vietnam" as the gunman fired rapidly and repeatedly at authorities taking cover behind squad cars in the Sunday night shootout.
County Coroner George Griffith identified the gunman as 59-year-old Danny Johnson of Houston, Ky. He said Johnson died at a hospital of gunshot wounds.
Clemons says authorities don't know what sparked the shooting near Jackson in the eastern part of the state.
Kentucky State Police Trooper Jody Sims says two deputies and a state police trooper were shot but didn't have life-threatening wounds. The two people in the vehicle also weren't hurt seriously.
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 20 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 59 min ago
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 14 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police