Suspect dead, 5 wounded in Ky. shootings
HAZARD, Ky. (AP) - June 25, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a rural Kentucky man opened fire from his house, shooting two people in a vehicle and wounding three law enforcement officers before being fatally shot.
Breathitt County Sheriff Ray Clemons says it "was like Vietnam" as the gunman fired rapidly and repeatedly at authorities taking cover behind squad cars in the Sunday night shootout.
County Coroner George Griffith identified the gunman as 59-year-old Danny Johnson of Houston, Ky. He said Johnson died at a hospital of gunshot wounds.
Clemons says authorities don't know what sparked the shooting near Jackson in the eastern part of the state.
Kentucky State Police Trooper Jody Sims says two deputies and a state police trooper were shot but didn't have life-threatening wounds. The two people in the vehicle also weren't hurt seriously.
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought 48 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm 9 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills 28 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash 51 min ago
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 40 min ago
- Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
19 min ago
- Firefighter adopts abused cat
36 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
9 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos