Search for missing boy becomes criminal probe
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. (AP) - June 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say the search for a 4-year-old boy reported missing from a mid-Michigan Indian reservation is now a criminal investigation.
Carnel Chamberlain disappeared last Thursday while in the care of his mother's boyfriend.
Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe spokesman Frank Cloutier says a search warrant to collect physical evidence was executed Monday. He says the warrant was related to the mother's boyfriend, but did not offer further details.
Carnel's mother says her boyfriend was caring for the boy at her home near Mount Pleasant while she was at work. The tribe said the boyfriend initially wasn't cooperative.
Cloutier says tribal police also have secured Carnel's home to preserve any possible evidence.
The tribe says Tuesday's search for Carnel is focused on a wooded area near a wastewater treatment plant.
- 51 dead, including 20 children, in Okla. tornado 17 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished 7 min ago
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom 41 min ago
- Teen shot multiple times in Feltonville 33 min ago
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel 17 min ago
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids 50 min ago
- Larry Holmes wins round in Pa. parking dispute 5 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- 51 dead, including 20 children, in Okla....
17 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to...
31 min ago