NY girl dies while playing mini golf in Orlando
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - June 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- A medical examiner says an 11-year-old New York girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort's miniature golf course near Orlando.
Orange County deputies say Ashton Jojo cried out in pain Wednesday afternoon as she stepped into the 2-foot-deep pond. Orange Lake Resort guest Christopher Burges of Alabama heard her screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured.
The girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner confirmed electrocution as the cause of death Thursday. Inspectors say it appears that electrical breakers for the pond's pump were improperly replaced.
Authorities say the Latham, N.Y., girl turned 11 on Friday. She was visiting Orlando with her parents and brother.
florida, orlando, golf, national/world
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 7 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
34 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos