NY girl dies while playing mini golf in Orlando
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - June 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- A medical examiner says an 11-year-old New York girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort's miniature golf course near Orlando.
Orange County deputies say Ashton Jojo cried out in pain Wednesday afternoon as she stepped into the 2-foot-deep pond. Orange Lake Resort guest Christopher Burges of Alabama heard her screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured.
The girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner confirmed electrocution as the cause of death Thursday. Inspectors say it appears that electrical breakers for the pond's pump were improperly replaced.
Authorities say the Latham, N.Y., girl turned 11 on Friday. She was visiting Orlando with her parents and brother.
florida, orlando, golf, national/world
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Turning Milder 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 9 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse 27 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed