Ruling in NJ school trip sex case delayed by flood
HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP) - July 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- A ruling on whether New Jersey can prosecute two high school employees accused of having sex with students on a school trip to Germany was postponed Monday, after a damaged a water pipe forced the early closure of the courthouse where it was being held.
A decision had been expected Monday regarding the two suspended Paramus Catholic High school employees.
Their lawyers have argued that the state can't prosecute them because the alleged acts took place in Germany. Prosecutors have argued that a permission form signed by parents gives the school significant responsibility for taking care of the students.
Artur Sopel was the school's vice president of operations and Michael Sumulikoski was a substitute teacher and assistant football coach. Both acted as chaperones on the trip in February 2011. Both men have insisted, through their lawyers, that they did nothing inappropriate during the trip.
It's not yet known when the New Jersey ruling will be rescheduled, or when the courthouse will reopen.
Authorities shut down the Bergen County Courthouse on Monday afternoon after a drug court defendant allegedly kicked and damaged a water pipe, spurring flooding that injured two people.
Benjamin Blohm, 27, of New Milford was arrested and charged with criminal mischief and causing a disturbance that caused widespread injury. Authorities said he's in custody on $50,000 bail.
Blohm allegedly kicked a hallway water pipe around noon, following a court appearance, Moriarty said. But it's not clear what spurred the act or if he's retained a lawyer.
Water soon flooded three of the court's four floors, causing a judge and sheriff's officer to slip and fall. The judge was being treated at a hospital, while the officer was treated at the scene.
The courthouse was closed around 2 p.m. Monday.
new jersey, germany, sex assault, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 49 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 54 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
49 min ago
- Milder Monday
52 min ago