Obama campaign staff member collapses, dies
CHICAGO (AP) - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A staff member for President Barack Obama's re-election campaign has died after collapsing at the campaign's Chicago headquarters.
Campaign officials say the 29-year-old aide, Alex Okrent, worked in the campaign's paid media department, which handles advertising.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that paramedics treated Okrent at the campaign headquarters and then took him to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Obama's campaign says the president called Okrent's parents to offer his condolences. Okrent was a field organizer on Obama's 2004 Senate campaign and then worked on Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
The president later spoke with other campaign staffers in a conference call to offer his condolences.
washington, d.c., president barack obama, national/world
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 25 min ago
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 44 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
26 min ago