Obama campaign staff member collapses, dies
CHICAGO (AP) - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A staff member for President Barack Obama's re-election campaign has died after collapsing at the campaign's Chicago headquarters.
Campaign officials say the 29-year-old aide, Alex Okrent, worked in the campaign's paid media department, which handles advertising.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that paramedics treated Okrent at the campaign headquarters and then took him to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Obama's campaign says the president called Okrent's parents to offer his condolences. Okrent was a field organizer on Obama's 2004 Senate campaign and then worked on Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
The president later spoke with other campaign staffers in a conference call to offer his condolences.
washington, d.c., president barack obama, national/world
- Big fire burning beach homes in Sea Isle City 1 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Fire in Sea Isle City 13 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 8 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
6 min ago