Obama campaign staff member collapses, dies
CHICAGO (AP) - July 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A staff member for President Barack Obama's re-election campaign has died after collapsing at the campaign's Chicago headquarters.
Campaign officials say the 29-year-old aide, Alex Okrent, worked in the campaign's paid media department, which handles advertising.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that paramedics treated Okrent at the campaign headquarters and then took him to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Obama's campaign says the president called Okrent's parents to offer his condolences. Okrent was a field organizer on Obama's 2004 Senate campaign and then worked on Obama's 2008 presidential campaign.
The president later spoke with other campaign staffers in a conference call to offer his condolences.
washington, d.c., president barack obama, national/world
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 19 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 27 min ago
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 9 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 17 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
19 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
17 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
9 min ago