Zimbabwe man survives 'face to face' lion attack
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) - July 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Zimbabwean state-run newspaper reports a farmer is recovering after surviving a lion attack in the remote northwest of the country.
The Chronicle reported Saturday that a lioness pounced on farmer Joel Ngwenya near the Hwange nature preserve, goring his arms and upper body and leaving him unconscious. Lions had been preying on livestock in the district.
"The lioness looked straight into my eyes, staring and roaring," Ngwenya told the paper from a hospital.
It pinned him down with its claws and continued staring at him "face to face," he said. The lioness briefly moved away toward a lion cub then turned back on him.
He regained consciousness, realizing "it just left me lying down and went away," the paper further quoted him as saying.
africa, animal attacks, animals, national/world
- More Snow on the Way 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 40 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 54 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 44 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 52 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete 55 min ago
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition 59 min ago
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now!
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- More Snow on the Way
43 min ago
- Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
42 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
54 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration...
44 min ago