Zimbabwe man survives 'face to face' lion attack
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) - July 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Zimbabwean state-run newspaper reports a farmer is recovering after surviving a lion attack in the remote northwest of the country.
The Chronicle reported Saturday that a lioness pounced on farmer Joel Ngwenya near the Hwange nature preserve, goring his arms and upper body and leaving him unconscious. Lions had been preying on livestock in the district.
"The lioness looked straight into my eyes, staring and roaring," Ngwenya told the paper from a hospital.
It pinned him down with its claws and continued staring at him "face to face," he said. The lioness briefly moved away toward a lion cub then turned back on him.
He regained consciousness, realizing "it just left me lying down and went away," the paper further quoted him as saying.
africa, animal attacks, animals, national/world
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Photos: Pictures from the SXSW festival crash
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 19 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region 34 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad 29 min ago
- Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
29 min ago
- High winds cause damage across the region
34 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
19 min ago