A closer look: Who are mass shooters?
July 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- 24-year-old James Holmes was taken into custody shortly after he allegedly walked into a crowded Colorado movie theater and opened fire - killing 12 and injuring 59 others.
Chester Police Commissioner Joseph Bail has studied mass shootings here and abroad. He co-wrote a book about the 2007 Virginia Tech incident that cost 32 lives.
Bail says arriving police officers confront the unknown like how many shooters and what kind of weapons, so they must be hyper alert to threats.
"The big thing we try to make sure is that the officers don't have tunnel vision. Don't focus just on getting through the door. See what's around the door, who is coming through the door, see who is on the other side," said Bail.
So who are mass shooters? Dale Yeager - a Criminal Behavior Analyst and profiler says most mass shootings are public suicides.
"They were already going to commit suicide now they're going to go and take other people with them," said Yeager.
In the Aurora, Colorado incident that was not the case.
"He did not commit suicide, he gave up very easily. He was on a mission, he completed his mission and he gave up," said Yeager.
Yeager thinks that is significant and that James Holmes may have a cause.
"It reeks that the shooter was motivated by a political or some kind of social ideology," said Yeager.
He also says if you dig deeper into those who profess a political motivation for shooting, you still find that their lives are chaotic.
Yeager says more will be learned as Holmes' past is revealed.
colorado theater shooting, shooting, movies, colorado, mass shooting, national/world, john rawlins
- 3 children rescued from Southwest Phila. house fire
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- Police investigate 2 robberies in Montgomery Co.
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend 46 min ago
- Police seek suspect in Olney sex assault
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
- 4 men sought in West Philadelphia armed robbery
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos