Chick-fil-A sets 1-day sales record amid flap
ATLANTA (AP) - August 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Chick-fil-A set a one-day sales record on Wednesday amid an ongoing controversy over a company executive's public stance against same-sex marriage, company officials said Thursday.
The Atlanta-based company confirmed in a statement that the sales record was broken Wednesday after it was declared "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" by former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a Baptist minister and Fox News talk-show host.
Chick-fil-A vice president Steve Robinson said the company won't release sales figures for Wednesday. Customers lined up outside restaurants and the Rev. Billy Graham, the 93-year-old evangelist, dined on a Chick-fil-A lunch on the record-setting day.
"We are very grateful and humbled by the incredible turnout of loyal Chick-fil-A customers on August 1 at Chick-fil-A restaurants around the country," Robinson in the statement.
Restaurant chain president Dan Cathy told the Baptist Press last month that the company was "guilty as charged" for backing "the biblical definition of a family." Gay rights activists and others answered with calls for boycotts. They plan a national "Kiss In" at Chick-fil-A restaurants on Friday to protest the owners' position. They are asking people of the same sex to show up at Chick-fil-A locations and kiss one other.
"We understand from news reports that Friday may present yet another opportunity for us to serve with genuine hospitality, superior service and great food," Robinson said.
fast food, atlanta, national/world
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly 6 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
4 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
6 min ago