Heavy flooding forces road closure in Arizona
PHOENIX (AP) - August 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Drivers heading out on parts of State Route 74 near Phoenix are being rerouted Wednesday morning because of flooding, a day after a baby and several others were rescued from high water.
The state Department of Transportation says the highway between Interstate 17 and Lake Pleasant Parkway is closed. The route is popular with drivers heading to or returning from Las Vegas.
Officials say motorists can take Loop 303 as an alternative east-west route.
A dust storm and monsoon blew through the Phoenix metropolitan area late Tuesday, flooding some streets in Anthem and along I-17.
The Arizona Republic reports firefighters rescued several people who were trapped in their vehicles Tuesday night on a highway west of I-17. No injuries were reported.
arizona, flooding, national/world
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme 14 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death 14 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos