Heavy flooding forces road closure in Arizona
PHOENIX (AP) - August 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Drivers heading out on parts of State Route 74 near Phoenix are being rerouted Wednesday morning because of flooding, a day after a baby and several others were rescued from high water.
The state Department of Transportation says the highway between Interstate 17 and Lake Pleasant Parkway is closed. The route is popular with drivers heading to or returning from Las Vegas.
Officials say motorists can take Loop 303 as an alternative east-west route.
A dust storm and monsoon blew through the Phoenix metropolitan area late Tuesday, flooding some streets in Anthem and along I-17.
The Arizona Republic reports firefighters rescued several people who were trapped in their vehicles Tuesday night on a highway west of I-17. No injuries were reported.
arizona, flooding, national/world
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada 9 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 16 min ago
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 16 min ago
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
16 min ago