Heavy flooding forces road closure in Arizona
PHOENIX (AP) - August 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Drivers heading out on parts of State Route 74 near Phoenix are being rerouted Wednesday morning because of flooding, a day after a baby and several others were rescued from high water.
The state Department of Transportation says the highway between Interstate 17 and Lake Pleasant Parkway is closed. The route is popular with drivers heading to or returning from Las Vegas.
Officials say motorists can take Loop 303 as an alternative east-west route.
A dust storm and monsoon blew through the Phoenix metropolitan area late Tuesday, flooding some streets in Anthem and along I-17.
The Arizona Republic reports firefighters rescued several people who were trapped in their vehicles Tuesday night on a highway west of I-17. No injuries were reported.
arizona, flooding, national/world
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 50 min ago
- Windy and cold today 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 25 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 1 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 41 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 2 struck, killed at SXSW festival in Texas
31 min ago