FBI joins search for missing Washington girl
SHELTON, Wash. (AP) - August 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- When the parents of a 16-year-old girl went to her bedroom Wednesday morning, they found the room in disarray, the window open and the screen cut - signs of a struggle that led the Mason County sheriff's office to issue an Amber alert for Vivian Gaspar-Guerrero.
She was last seen at 9 p.m. the night before in her bedroom.
Authorities don't believe she ran away or left voluntarily with someone.
"We believe that, more likely than not, this is a legitimate abduction," said Chief Criminal Deputy Dean Byrd.
There are no suspects.
Deputies have canvassed and re-canvassed the neighborhood near the town of Shelton, about 45 miles southwest of Seattle. They have no leads, Byrd said.
By Wednesday afternoon, a Washington State Patrol trooper and FBI agent were also on the scene.
The federal agency is assisting the sheriff's office, FBI spokeswoman Ayn Dietrich in Seattle confirmed.
The sheriff's office also has asked for crime scene investigation help from the Washington State Patrol crime lab, Byrd said.
Gaspar-Guerrero is Hispanic, 5-foot-2 and weighs 128 pounds. She has brown eyes and black hair just past her shoulders. She is believed to be wearing black shorts and a black blouse.
The family received a call Wednesday from an unidentified person who said the girl was found, but authorities believe that was a false report, Byrd said.
The parents didn't know who it was from, and there was no such call to dispatchers.
"At this point, it's unsubstantiated if not malicious," Byrd said.
washington, missing children, missing person, national/world
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- Wintry Weekend 4 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Wintry Weekend
4 min ago