7 Cameroon athletes missing from Olympic village
LONDON (AP) - August 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Seven of Cameroon's Olympic competitors have disappeared from their official residence and may attempt to seek asylum in Britain, the chief of the African nation's delegation said Tuesday.
David Ojong, head of mission for Team Cameroon, said the seven all currently hold visas permitting them to remain legally in Britain until at least November.
Ojong said five boxers, a swimmer and a soccer player left the athletes' village at the Olympic Park in Stratford, east London, over the weekend and have not returned.
He named the missing athletes as swimmer Paul Ekane Edingue, women's goalkeeper Drusille Ngako and five boxers: Thomas Essomba, Christian Donfack Adjoufack, Abdon Mewoli, Blaise Yepmou Mendouo and Serge Abomo.
He said the Cameroon delegation consisted originally of 59 people, but 28 already have returned home, 24 remain in London and seven are missing.
Britain's Home Office, responsible for immigration, said it could not comment on whether any of the seven had applied for asylum.
Scotland Yard said it had received no report that any Cameroon athletes were missing.
Before the Olympic opening ceremony July 27, Sudan's embassy confirmed that three athletes had gone missing. The Sudan trio had attended a training camp, but missed the cut for the Olympics. Sudan's embassy said one had applied for asylum and the two others were expected to do so.
london, missing person, national/world
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted