Agency probes JFK security breach by man from bay
NEW YORK (AP) - August 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man on a personal watercraft who became stranded in a bay easily breached Kennedy International Airport's security system by walking undetected through two runways and into a terminal.
The New York Post reported Sunday that Daniel Casillo, 31, swam to a Jamaica Bay shore and then walked past motion sensors and closed-circuit cameras of the airport's state-of-the-art Perimeter Intrusion Detection System. The $100 million system, manufactured by defense contractor Raytheon Co., is meant to safeguard against terrorists.
Casillo, of New York, climbed an 8-foot-tall perimeter fence and made his way to Terminal 3, where he was approached by a Delta Airlines worker, the Post reported. The Delta employee then alerted authorities.
Casillo was charged with criminal trespass. A man who answered the phone at the home of his girlfriend, Deanna Cowan, said the couple's lawyer had advised them to stop speaking to the media.
The Port Authority said in a statement Monday that it took immediate action to increase police patrols of the airport's perimeter after the incident.
"We have called for an expedited review of the incident and a complete investigation to determine how Raytheon's perimeter intrusion detection system - which exceeds federal requirements - could be improved," the agency said in an emailed statement. "Our goal is to keep the region's airports safe and secure at all times."
Information from: New York Post
new york city, new york, airline security, national/world
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect 38 min ago
- A Nice Stretch
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp. 37 min ago
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE 25 min ago
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7 19 min ago
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot...
38 min ago
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in...
37 min ago