2 sheriff's deputies dead, 2 hurt in La. shootout
LaPLACE, La. (AP) - August 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two sheriff's deputies in Louisiana have been shot to death and two other deputies were wounded in an early morning shootout in St. John the Baptist Parish, west of New Orleans.
Parish sheriff's spokesman Capt. Dane Clement confirmed the deaths of the two deputies Thursday.
One suspect was in custody and a search was on for at least one other, according to law enforcement officials who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak for the multiple agencies involved.
The shooting occurred around 5:30 a.m. in a parking lot used by workers in an area of manufacturing plants and refineries along the Mississippi River. Cars from multiple area law enforcement agencies and state police flooded the area soon after the shooting.
police, police officer killed, shooting, louisiana, new orleans, national/world
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 25 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor 52 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 31 min ago
- SW Phila. shootings possibly connected to bar fight
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
31 min ago