Funeral for NY Marine killed in Afghanistan
OCEANSIDE, N.Y. (AP) - August 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Lance Cpl. Greg Buckley Jr. was barely 21 years old when he was killed in an attack by a policeman in Afghanistan.
His funeral was held today on Long Island.
On Thursday, family members sobbed as his flag-draped coffin arrived in a heart wrenching military ritual.
His mother cried out, "My boy!" as an honor guard carried his remains into an Oceanside funeral home.
Weeping residents held American flags. Some honored his father's request to "salute my boy."
The Afghan police officer shot and killed Buckley and two other U.S. Marines after sharing a meal with them.
It was one of a recent rash of attacks in which Afghan security forces or attackers wearing their uniforms turned their guns on the coalition troops.
afghanistan, u.s. marine corps, national/world
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 48 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington 3 min ago
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition