Funeral for NY Marine killed in Afghanistan
OCEANSIDE, N.Y. (AP) - August 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Lance Cpl. Greg Buckley Jr. was barely 21 years old when he was killed in an attack by a policeman in Afghanistan.
His funeral was held today on Long Island.
On Thursday, family members sobbed as his flag-draped coffin arrived in a heart wrenching military ritual.
His mother cried out, "My boy!" as an honor guard carried his remains into an Oceanside funeral home.
Weeping residents held American flags. Some honored his father's request to "salute my boy."
The Afghan police officer shot and killed Buckley and two other U.S. Marines after sharing a meal with them.
It was one of a recent rash of attacks in which Afghan security forces or attackers wearing their uniforms turned their guns on the coalition troops.
afghanistan, u.s. marine corps, national/world
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 59 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online 33 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma 16 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams 43 min ago
- Local help on the way for tornado victims 10 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 3 min ago
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 7 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 5 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
59 min ago