Funeral for NY Marine killed in Afghanistan
OCEANSIDE, N.Y. (AP) - August 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Lance Cpl. Greg Buckley Jr. was barely 21 years old when he was killed in an attack by a policeman in Afghanistan.
His funeral was held today on Long Island.
On Thursday, family members sobbed as his flag-draped coffin arrived in a heart wrenching military ritual.
His mother cried out, "My boy!" as an honor guard carried his remains into an Oceanside funeral home.
Weeping residents held American flags. Some honored his father's request to "salute my boy."
The Afghan police officer shot and killed Buckley and two other U.S. Marines after sharing a meal with them.
It was one of a recent rash of attacks in which Afghan security forces or attackers wearing their uniforms turned their guns on the coalition troops.
afghanistan, u.s. marine corps, national/world
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos