Elderly woman found dead in Ariz. home with cats
MESA, Ariz. (AP) - August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- An elderly woman has been found dead in her suburban Phoenix home, where she lived with about 50 cats.
Maricopa County sheriff's deputies were forced to wear breathing equipment to enter the residence in Mesa, Ariz., early Tuesday. They had been called to check on the woman, whose name wasn't immediately released.
It's unclear how long the woman had been dead or what she died from. Authorities say it appears she was a hoarder and the home was in poor condition.
The sheriff's office and the Humane Society are trying to rescue as many cats as possible and decide where to keep them.
arizona, animals, national/world
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 18 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower