Elderly woman found dead in Ariz. home with cats
MESA, Ariz. (AP) - August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- An elderly woman has been found dead in her suburban Phoenix home, where she lived with about 50 cats.
Maricopa County sheriff's deputies were forced to wear breathing equipment to enter the residence in Mesa, Ariz., early Tuesday. They had been called to check on the woman, whose name wasn't immediately released.
It's unclear how long the woman had been dead or what she died from. Authorities say it appears she was a hoarder and the home was in poor condition.
The sheriff's office and the Humane Society are trying to rescue as many cats as possible and decide where to keep them.
arizona, animals, national/world
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Wet to Wintry!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police