Good Samaritans killed helping after LA crash
LOS ANGELES - August 23, 2012 -- Two Good Samaritans were electrocuted and several others were injured Wednesday night while coming to the rescue of a man who crashed into a hydrant and knocked down a live electric wire in Los Angeles.
The single-vehicle crash happened around 8:30 p.m. on the 12000 block of Magnolia Boulevard near Laurel Canyon Boulevard. Authorities said the driver lost control of his vehicle when he attempted to make a turn from Magnolia Boulevard, according to KABC-TV.
A woman who lived in a nearby residence rushed out to help the driver, was shocked by water energized by the power line and later died. A husband and wife passing by in a vehicle stopped to help. That woman also was electrocuted. Police identified one of the victims as 41-year-old Irma Zamora.
As more people approached the scene to help, more of them were shocked. Witnesses said they heard people screaming.
"There was some gentleman going, "Don't touch her! Don't touch her!' Then there was somebody else going, 'Somebody help her! Somebody pull her out!'" said witness Everett Hernandez. "I saw people. It looked like they were wrestling...but what they were really doing is they were pulling people from getting electrocuted because there was a live wire under the water."
Investigators said that eight people in total were injured, including a police officer. Five people were taken to a hospital and one was treated at the scene. The driver sustained minor injuries.
Investigators said excessive speed was likely a factor of the crash. Alcohol was not believed to be involved.
"This is one of those cases where the village came to help and the villagers suffered as a result of their good will. It's an unfortunate situation," said Capt. Peter Whittingham of the Los Angeles Police Department.
Officials from the Department of Water and Power want to remind people who come across downed power lines to stay in their vehicles and not touch anyone who is in contact with the power source.
los angeles, accident, national/world
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 9 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Runway littered with holiday mail 10 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 45 min ago
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint 54 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 32 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Temps Soar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
45 min ago