Ill. police say teen held captive 2 years escapes
WASHINGTON PARK, Ill. (AP) - August 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A teenage girl reported missing more than two years ago escaped from a home in southwestern Illinois where she said she was held captive and repeatedly sexually assaulted, police said Thursday.
Police in Washington Park, a village next to East St. Louis, said the girl reported that she was raped by her captor, got pregnant and had a baby.
In April 2010, St. Louis, Mo., police listed the girl as a missing or runaway juvenile. She was 15 when she disappeared.
She escaped from the home in Washington Park earlier this week and went to police, saying her child was still in the house.
About two dozen members of a SWAT team swarmed the home Thursday afternoon, recovered the child and arrested a 24-year-old man.
Washington Park Police Chief David Clark said it appears the man's mother assisted in the crime. She was also taken into custody. Police would not identify either of them by name because they had not been charged as of Thursday evening.
The teen told police she was held against her will and was beaten and sexually assaulted almost every day. She reported trying to escape several times but told police that her captor chased her down each time and forced her back to the home at gunpoint.
She told police she was able to escape this week with the help of a relative.
Police said the teen also told them she was forced by the man and his mother to give a false name in medical records during her pregnancy and when the child was born.
teens, illinois, abduction, national/world
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 29 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 9 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 25 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 27 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 23 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures